So, my sister-in-law and her family were kind enough to watch our kids for us so that we could go out for our anniversary...thank you Jenn, Brian, Malorie and Colton!!! And not only watch them, but watch them overnight! I was very grateful for their offer, but I was also slightly scared...for Jenn and her family. I mean, Savannah is old enough that she is not really much of a "burden" to babysit; Charlotte is getting pretty low-maintenance as well; and then there's my little Barrett. Bless his sweet heart, he is quite a Mama's boy, and I really wasn't sure how he would handle an overnighter.
A few months ago, my dear Dad took the kids and tried an overnight experience. It was fine for Barrett until bedtime. He was fine getting his jammies on, he was fine brushing his teeth, he was fine reading his story, he was even fine climbing into bed; but then....Grandpa had to turn off the lights. Enter panic. Poor little Bear-Bear wasn't so sure about this whole "sleepover" thing anymore. He told Grandpa "I want my Mommy," "I want my Daddy," "I want Charlotte," "I want Savannah." My poor Dad! He tried to calm him down, but Barrett wasn't having any of it! Bless my Dad, he tried for quite a while, then decided poor little Bear just needed his Mommy, so he called us, and we went to pick him up. The girls slept through all of this, and we took Bear home at about 10:30.
So, that was Barrett's last experience with spending the night away from Mom and Dad. But, Jenn assured us he'd be fine, and to enjoy our anniversary. Well, we did, it was nice to have a dinner without the kids arguing over who gets to sit by Daddy, whose turn it is to say the prayer (yes, my kids really do fight over that), and of course, the ever-constant "What are we having for dinner.....Oh, I don't like that." We enjoyed seeing a movie together, "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" was flippin' hilarious! But then, once we got home, I was so worried about Bear, and worried that he was making life interesting for everyone else at Jenn's house. I really didn't sleep well at all, I kept waking up thinking I had heard Barrett. Weird, I know. Well, surprise to Mom...he did great! He had a small moment of anxiety at bedtime, but did go to sleep, and he slept the whole night through! He even went to church with them, and almost made it through the whole block! So, I guess I was worried for nearly no reason! He is such a big boy!
On a related note, after we had picked up the kids, they fell asleep in the car on the way home, and so we just put them in their beds for a nap. After an hour or so, we hear what we think is one of the kids coughing. Thinking for sure it was Savannah, who is trying desperately to get rid of a little cold, we went to check it out. It was actually Charlotte...but she wasn't coughing, she was crying. Poor little girl! Colby picked her up, and tried to calm her down and ask her what was wrong. Her response? "I'm crying that's because I miss Aunt Jenn." Seriously, that is what she said, word for word. I think she was just a little bit annoyed that she woke up at her own house! It was so darn cute and sweet. If not for her tears and her crying so hard that she was almost choking, I totally would have taken a picture!
And to think, it was Barrett I was worried about the most...
A few months ago, my dear Dad took the kids and tried an overnight experience. It was fine for Barrett until bedtime. He was fine getting his jammies on, he was fine brushing his teeth, he was fine reading his story, he was even fine climbing into bed; but then....Grandpa had to turn off the lights. Enter panic. Poor little Bear-Bear wasn't so sure about this whole "sleepover" thing anymore. He told Grandpa "I want my Mommy," "I want my Daddy," "I want Charlotte," "I want Savannah." My poor Dad! He tried to calm him down, but Barrett wasn't having any of it! Bless my Dad, he tried for quite a while, then decided poor little Bear just needed his Mommy, so he called us, and we went to pick him up. The girls slept through all of this, and we took Bear home at about 10:30.
So, that was Barrett's last experience with spending the night away from Mom and Dad. But, Jenn assured us he'd be fine, and to enjoy our anniversary. Well, we did, it was nice to have a dinner without the kids arguing over who gets to sit by Daddy, whose turn it is to say the prayer (yes, my kids really do fight over that), and of course, the ever-constant "What are we having for dinner.....Oh, I don't like that." We enjoyed seeing a movie together, "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" was flippin' hilarious! But then, once we got home, I was so worried about Bear, and worried that he was making life interesting for everyone else at Jenn's house. I really didn't sleep well at all, I kept waking up thinking I had heard Barrett. Weird, I know. Well, surprise to Mom...he did great! He had a small moment of anxiety at bedtime, but did go to sleep, and he slept the whole night through! He even went to church with them, and almost made it through the whole block! So, I guess I was worried for nearly no reason! He is such a big boy!
On a related note, after we had picked up the kids, they fell asleep in the car on the way home, and so we just put them in their beds for a nap. After an hour or so, we hear what we think is one of the kids coughing. Thinking for sure it was Savannah, who is trying desperately to get rid of a little cold, we went to check it out. It was actually Charlotte...but she wasn't coughing, she was crying. Poor little girl! Colby picked her up, and tried to calm her down and ask her what was wrong. Her response? "I'm crying that's because I miss Aunt Jenn." Seriously, that is what she said, word for word. I think she was just a little bit annoyed that she woke up at her own house! It was so darn cute and sweet. If not for her tears and her crying so hard that she was almost choking, I totally would have taken a picture!
And to think, it was Barrett I was worried about the most...
1 comment:
I know this is late in coming - because I have absolutely stunk at keeping up to date on the whole blog thing lately, but this was fun to read. We had so much fun with your kids that weekend. And we love them all so much! Thanks for letting us have fun with them.
Post a Comment