Monday, January 26, 2009

Not such a great weekend

So, my weekend was bad. Really bad. Really, really, really bad. I think it would rate as my number 1 all-time crappy and utterly devastating weekend. You know how in bad dreams and terrible nightmares, everything happens that is catastrophic and totally unbearable, and then you wake up in tears and drenched with sweat? And you can barely believe that you are, in fact, awake, because the nightmare was so vivid and horrible? That almost happened this weekend for me, except that when I woke up, the nightmare was reality. On Thursday night, we had Barrett diagnosed with pneumonia, which in itself is not so fun, but kind of "routine" with my kids, for some strange reason. He had a bad night, but nothing really bad. Then, Friday morning comes. I received a phone call from my Mom telling me that she was in the emergency room with my sister Steph and her one-month-old baby son, Boston. Boston was cold and not breathing, and the prognosis wasn't good. Needless to say, my heart dropped to the floor, and for a moment, I couldn't even process what I had just heard. After a frantic phone call to Colby, we went to the hospital to be with my sister and the rest of my family. By the time we got there, Boston had passed away. They think he had actually died at home, and they tried everything medically possible to revive and save him, but to no avail. There is nothing in the world so unthinkably unfair and wrong as the death of a child, especially one so young and healthy. My heart feels so black and cold, and nothing can make it right. And my heart aches for my sister. I wish with all my heart that I could make it better, and take away all her pain. I cannot even pretend to understand the depth of her sadness and loss. My whole world seems so fragile and fleeting and uncertain now. I want to hold my kids and never let them out of my sight, even for a moment. I want to go to work with Colby because I never want to see him leave, even for a routine 8 hour workday. I just want to take Steph and wrap her in my arms and somehow transfer all of her sorrow and despair and pain to me, and make her feel better. Even though I know that nothing will ever make it better. Nothing. Can anything make it better? Or if not better, at least a little less terrible? I know that everyone says in times such as these, you just cling to your faith and trust that God has a plan and that all will be well in the end. You know, that is all well and good, but for now, I have to be honest and say- that just seems like a cheap cop-out somehow. That really doesn't seem very helpful. It doesn't bring Boston back, it doesn't make Steph's sorrow go away, it just doesn't seem to do anything except say, in different wording, "Boy, life sure is capricious and rotten at times, isn't it?" Anyway, those of you who know me understand that I am a certified pessimistic, cynical doomsayer. But I have to say, that sure does seem like an awfully REALISTIC viewpoint on the world right about now. I am going to try to exercise a small particle of optimism and hope that in a few days or weeks, I can start believing that God does have a plan, but for now, please, if you would, remember my sweet sister Steph in your prayers right now. She really needs some extra support and strength. Her burden right now is one that nobody should have to bear...

6 comments:

The Fife's said...

Danielle, I am so sorry. I feel so bad for you and your family. Please let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Emery's said...

I am so sorry to hear of your sister's loss. I know exactly how you feel. Life SUCKS, is UNFAIR, and Why did this have to happen to me? I still feel those feelings every day. I still cry for hours wishing I could hold my sweet Logan in my arms just one more time. The bad news is that your sister's pain will just get worse. The first week or two she will be so sad but she will be in shock. It will be after the shock has left that it truly hits that will be the hardest. I REALLY struggled the third week so I am sure that is when she will need the most comfort. Prayers are amazing though! After Logan passed away I could literally feel all of the prayers people had said on our behalf and felt some comfort. When times are quiet (which is very rare) I can feel Logan's presence and know that he is ok. There will always be a massive hole in my heart that will never be able to be mended. I will pray for your sister, as burying a precious perfect baby is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do.

Luckiest Girl.... said...

I am so sorry for your family, for your sister. Our prayers our with all of you. When we hear stories like this, I think it makes us all hold our kids tighter and love them even more.
I am sorry for your pain, let me know if there is anything I can do.

Nathan & Annette said...

Dani:
What can I say. There are no words. When I told Nate he almost cried at work because he knows Steph and it also hit close to home with us because are cute little 3 month old. I don't know what I would do if that happened to one of my kids. If their is any thing you need just let us know. Love you guys and Steph will be in our prayers. Love ya

Annette and Fam.

Kassie said...

Dani, I am so truely sorry to hear about your nephew! I will keep you in our prayers as well as your sister. I cannot even imagine losing a child, it really makes you take a minute and remember all that heavenly father has blessed us with. Again, I am so sorry if you need any help this week with the kids or anything please let me know!! Love, Kassie

Buckeye Nut said...

Dani,

I know that this is a horrible time for you and your family. Please know that if you need or want to talk about anything, now or in the weeks and months to come, the door is definitely open. It is so hard to go through but believe it or not, you will be amazed at the love you and your family will feel in the months to come. There are days that I miss my nephew terribly but am grateful for that support. Don't let people rush you or your sister either. It takes time and only you and Heavenly Father know when that time is. Your guys will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers. Luv ya!